Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Choices...

 I'm sitting here watching this program on tv called "Beyond Scared Straight", and as I watch these young kids experiencing a day in the life of a convict, I can't help but feel some sadness and contempt. Sadness that kids that young are doing shit that puts their futures in jeapordy, and contempt for the reasons WHY they claim that they are throwing their lives away. Some say that they're acting out due to parent's constant fighting, or divorce, or they were abused, etc. The list goes on and on.

What I have to say to that is that it's a load of shit and a bad copout. Shit happens, life happens, it sucks, buck up, put on your big girl panties and deal with it.

There are plenty of people that have had bad lives and manage to go through life without landing in jail. I know, because I'm one of them. I've been abused, I've been raped, and I've been through shit that would break a weaker person. I'll admit, I lost myself in a bottle for awhile, and I lived recklessly and stupidly for a while and then I picked myself up and pulled myself of out. But I never did stupid shit that would land me in prison or even jail.  I never started stealing or assaulting people or any of that other stupid shit.

It's all about choices. People CHOOSE to be who they are and they CHOOSE to involve themselves in these things. I'm not talking about kids growing up in the ghetto who roll with gangs because they are trying to survive to adulthood. I think the gang mentality is stupid and unnecessary, but it's a reality that exists. That's a choice too. If they chose not to be part of a gang and do illegal things, then there would be no gangs or gang-related problems. The only real point for these kids to join a gang is acceptance and protection. That's one group of people less to harrass them. Banding together for protection is a natural animal instinct, but these idiots take it too far and dream up all sorts of other activities because they are broke and bored, they think it's how you gain respect, they think it makes them look cool, or they're just plain mean.

I guess the base of what I'm trying to say is take responsibility for your own actions. Stop blaming your parents and the world around you for your actions. Yes, life is hard. Yes most of us go through really bad shit. The people in your life, and your parents can really fuck up your mind and your self-image, but ultimately, YOU are responsible for YOUR actions. You can deal with it, and move past it, or you can piss your life away. Not saying it's going to be easy, because it's never easy, but it's all about choice. So what's your choice going to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, try to keep it civil people.