Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Attacks on Planned Parenthood

 This page is going to be for discussion and rants on whatever topic happens to set me off that day. :-) I invite everyone to share their opinions, and all I ask is that you be respectful of everyone who does. No name-calling, trash-talking etc. unless the person it's directed at happens to be your best friend or someone famous (like Sarah Palin).

 I used to have a bunch of notes on my other page, but when I decided to move everything over here, they got lost. So...bye bye notes. Anyway, once I'm not sick, and can focus on something other than how much my body hurts, I will start throwing branches on the fire. In the meantime, I hope everyone is well, and to the new members of my page I say-welcome!
Ok,so I'm going to start this off here. As it turns out, there are just not enough hours in the day. Anyway, certain Republicans are trying to do away with funding for Planned Parenthood. Of course this idiocy was suggested by a republican male. I don't think that these people really think these things through from any viewpoint except their own warped perception before trying to push them through. They are so set on their own agenda that they don't take all of the factors into consideration.

Planned Parenthood is a very important organization in the U.S. since it provides not only birth control, but also women's health screenings, breast cancer screenings, and cervical cancer screenings. To cut their funding would do away with healthcare for so many women. They prevent over 600,000 unwanted pregnancies a year, and to cut them out would raise the number of unplanned preganancies, as well as the number of STDs and abortions. While I think that abortion is acceptable under certain circumstances, I don't think that it should be used as a method of birth control, and if women don't have access to contraceptives, then they will turn to more extreme measures to avoid an unwanted pregnancy.

These kinds of bills are recommended by religious zealots who are trying to push their own ideals onto the population of the United States. Fortunately, there are still enough people that have equal power with the common sense to veto them. It's a never-ending battle to maintain the rights that we still have, and to gain rights for those that don't have them. Hopefully, in the end, reason will prevail, although the words "reason" and "government" rarely make it into the same sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, try to keep it civil people.